15 Aug 037: Business Compliance
In this episode of Drop and Give Me 20, Lindsey invited Anna Blanch Rabe and Rebecca Alwine to discuss a complicated topic—business compliance.
Anna Blanch Rabe is the founder and CEO of Anna Blanch Rabe & Associates LLC, a communications consultancy specialising in shaping and executing the communications strategies for law firms, social enterprises, and socially responsible businesses who see the growth of their local community as intertwined with their profits. She’s a proud USAF spouse, who has served as a key spouse and is currently a key spouse mentor.
Rebecca Alwine is a freelance writer, army wife, and mother of three. Her writing experience include military family topics, research pieces, guest blogging, and much more. Rebecca’s work can be found in over 28 publications including PCSGrades, Military OneClick, and ScaryMommy. She was also a contributing writer for ARMY Magazine and has also been published in Ms. Magazine and The Atlantic’s City Lab.
Important topics they discuss:
- [01:09] Anna’s background
- [02:03] Rebecca’s background
- [03:24] On operating remotely and hiring employees
- [03:53] Hiring a W-2 military spouse employee
- [05:00] Military spouses can have tax residency, not a home of record
- [06:48] Anna on hiring employees
- [08:33] Rebecca on hiring employees
- [10:54] Tips and advice
- [15:57] Each state has a definition of what they call a business nexus
- [18:25] Staying compliant
- [20:47] Why you should not be operating as a sole proprietor or straight partnership
“We need to talk about it with people who are making a difference and we need to outsource to military spouses to do these things for us.” – Rebecca Alwine