01 May 056: Amanda Huffman
In this episode of Drop and Give Me 20 Season 4, Lindsey interviews Amanda Huffman, veteran, author, and speaker. Amanda is also the creator of Airman to Mom and the host of Women of the Military Podcast.
Amanda served in the Air Force for six years as a civil engineer and was deployed to Afghanistan as part of a provincial reconstruction team. She traded in her combat boots for a diaper bag and stayed at home with her two boys.
Women of the Military podcast started out of the idea that women want to tell their military stories. While there are podcasts that focus on military stories, she felt there was a missing piece as most people don’t know what it’s like to be a woman in the military.
Amanda interviews women who have served in the military or are currently serving in the military. She also shares aspects of her military experience as an Air Force officer, military spouse, veteran, and mom.
- [01:34] How Amanda transitioned from blogging to podcasting
- [02:10] What her blog and podcast are all about
- [02:35] Women of the military story
- [03:38] Categorizing her topics by different themes
- [04:58] One of the many challenges she faced after transitioning from active duty to military spouse
- [06:58] Opportunities that came her way because of podcasting
- [08:25] How Amanda approached a major television station with her story
- [09:47] Amanda’s process for podcasting
- [17:20] Amanda’s advice to those who want to try podcasting
- [09:09] “What’s the worst that will happen though? They’ll say NO or they don’t respond? It just takes a little bit of your time and so I just try and look at it that way.”
Women of the Military Podcast
Airman to Mom
Amanda on Instagram
Amanda on Twitter
Amanda on Facebook
Amanda on LinkedIn
Women of the Military: A Compilation of Stories from American Women Service Members by Amanda Huffman